RZ350 Hybrid

Post your Project Bike threads here.
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: RZ350 Hybrid

Post by phil1rowe4 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 am

Lol, No worries at all. I didnt think I'd written the last bit?? Thought I'd been sniffing to much paint fumes 😀

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am

Haha, well yeah, more like Ive been the one on the fumes lol. Once again, my apologies m8.

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 am

The bloke that painted my car always uses the same family across the process, from primer, builder, base coat, clear.
I had issues with my fibreglass bonnet scoop reacting to the paint. One day I will re-do it.
But yeah fibreglass seems to be tricky at times.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's

phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Hybrid,

I know you're right and generally try to use the same family of paint. Unfortunately it's quite an inconvenience to setup the spray booth for any length of time so I tried to get away with spray pack undercoats that didn't need the booth. For most of the surface area it worked fine, just those bits that I sanded back too far. In hindsight I should have done another sealer coat to make sure there was a good seal over the high build primer.

I also should have put a hardener in the colour as it's been easily damaged by the masking for the second colour and I've had to redo a couple of red bits. :cry:

I was really disappointed with the fairing and was starting to doubt my abilities but rubbed everything back and tried again. The red worked beautifully with a lovely smooth gloss finish. The black gave me troubles again. Most areas were smooth and glossy but the same patches were starting to craze again. The smooth parts make me think its not something I'm doing wrong technique wise. I ended up doing lots of very light coats which looks a little dry but managed to cover the crazed areas. It's not perfect but you'll need to get pretty close to tell. It's not a show bike, it's meant to be ridden so in the end it wont matter to anyone but me. :roll:

I've just finished the gold pin striping and Yamaha sticker on the tank and then several coats of gloss, going from lighter coats ( to make sure the decals didn't lift) to wet coats. Worked nicely so I'm happy again. :)

Here's some pics of the fairing back in for round 2 and the tank with gloss.